Web Ad Specs:
Files should be submitted as “web ready” JPGs or GIFs. Image resolution should be 72 dpi, in RGB color mode. File size is limited to 250 kilobytes. A valid URL is required if you would like your ad to link to your website. We do permit the use of custom tracking codes for web advertisements. In an effort to maintain the highest quality user experience, we currently do not permit animated ads on Local Flavor. Click here to upload your web ad.
Print Ready Ad Specs:
Files should be submitted as “press ready” PDFs (ideally PDFX-1A). Any images or logos embedded in the PDF file must be 300 DPI (dots per inch), in either CMYK, grayscale or bitmap. All fonts used in the ad layout must be embedded in the PDF file.
If you are submitting InDesign layouts they should be collected with all support files (images, logos and fonts) included in the layout. Images or logos should be 300 DPI or greater, in either CMYK, grayscale or bitmap.
Photoshop layouts should be submitted at 300 DPI or greater, in either CMYK, grayscale or bitmap. Documents that include multiple layers must be flattened and/or all type layers should be outlined or rasterized. Photoshop file types that we can use are: .psd, .tif, .eps, .bmp, .pdf.
Technical Tips for Tackling Newsprint:
1) Brighten your colors by 10 to 12 percent.
2) Do not use type within your ad layout that is any smaller than 9 point.
3) Avoid using small fonts in with a serif of very fine lines. Bold sans serif typefaces are more legible.
4) Do not reverse (knock out) type from dark colored backgrounds unless you use a bold font. (12 points or greater.)
5) Designing your ad art with black type over-printing a light color background is more fail safe than reversing the type.
5) Avoid using “rich black” on fonts. Use 100% black only.
6) Solid blacks should be built out at C20 M20 Y20 K100
Full Page w: 9.5” x h: 12.375”>
Half Page (V) w: 4.5” x h: 11.8125”
Half Page (H) w: 9.5” x h: 5.75”
Quarter Page w: 4.5” x h: 5.75”
Eighth Page w: 4.5” x h: 2.62”
Email your print-ready ad to your sales person:
Submitting Art for Ad Design:
If we have agreed to design your ad please send:
1) Vector Graphic logo (.ai or .eps) OR a logo image file that is 300 DPI (dots per inch) at the size you would like to use in your ad. Logos pulled from websites will not print adequately!
2) All images should be high-res (300 DPI) at the size you would like to use in your ad. Photographs pulled from websites will not print adequately! (web images are 72 DPI – about 1/4 the size needed for print!)
3) Copy content should clearly indicate the focus of the ad and should be edited based on the size of the ad you have purchased (less is usually more!).
Please include your business’s phone number, website, physical address and city.
Email your materials to the Local Flavor ad production person at firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to have time to design your ad and have it approved please send materials in no later that the 15th of the month previous to the publication month.